HOURS : MON - FRI 7:30AM - 6:30PM, SAT 8AM - 5PM, SUN 12PM - 5PM

(303) 938-9474

Indian Peaks Veterinary Hospital

Shamrock Plants can be Toxic for Dogs and Cats

Published on March 16, 2016 in Cat Health, Dog Health

little dog in grass

Shamrocks are universally known as having good luck. Did you know these plants can be toxic when ingested by your cat or dog? We recommend avoiding this plant if you have curious pets in your home. The Oxalis species or shamrock plant is also known as: Good Luck Plant, Sorrel, Purple Shamrock and Love Plant. Consuming large amounts of this plant can cause kidney damage. Symptoms of Oxalis poisoning are: drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased appetite. If you suspect your pet has consumed this plant, call your vet immediately.